30/07/2009

Farewell Lacroix?

I have a confession to make and to those closely involved with the fashion world (or a desire to be) this may come as a shock. I’ve never been into haute couture. Go ahead, gasp and sigh but I do have a semi-logical explanation. The finances that have magically accumulated in my bank account aren’t any good when it comes to buying good, old prêt-à-porter therefore a couture piece is as elusive as ever. I don’t view couture as clothing to be worn, to me it is art to be admired. Seriously, replace dull galleries with show-casings of haute couture and then you’ll get people taking interest. Hearing the news that, arguably, the world’s greatest couturier is about to ‘stall production’ due to the economic crises was not pleasant. So perhaps the fact that he has never turned a profit in his extensive history with the couture house served as an indicator but it was non the less disappointing that I would never lay my eyes on another collection inspired by the Ukrainian virgin brides.
Lacroix’s (last?) collection was funded privately by the man himself with the models only getting paid €50. The colours were watered down to reflect the financial state of the company with fewer displays of the extravagance that he is known for. The last piece was an exuberant wedding dress decorated to perfection, in a way it was Lacroix’s manner of signing of whilst saying this is what I am about and if I am unable to do it, I won’t do it at all.
Last Look Of the Collection

1 comment:

Unknown said...

it's sad. i love haute couture. since ages ago, when i was in junior high. *sigh*