20/07/2010

The Issue Of Size, Yes, Really

This isn't news to anybody but I was really angered by it last week hence the blogpost even thought I've pretty much abandoned my blog. Clothes shopping is usually fun, sometimes stressful and sometimes downright frustrating. This is made possible by the useless numbers stores print on their labels. I shall tell you a story. I wear size 8-10 which translates to 34-36 or a 'S'. I thought that this meant when I walk into a store, I can consult those indicators, buy and wear garments. Now, tops and dresses aren't really the offenders here. Trousers on the other hand are pure hell. I HATE YOU. Last week I ordered myself a pair of floral print skinny jeans from Miss Selfridge and went for my usual size 10 since that's the size I am in Topshop and they're sister companies, so you know, there's logic there. My jeans arrive and put them on only to realise that there's no way they're zipping up. Returned. Got a size 12. All is now good. A sale at United Colours of Benetton (not my usual shopping spot but it's a sale) prompted me to purchase a pair of raspberry coloured jeans. They looked quite small in store so I went for a 38 which is a 12 (not my actual size). Tried them on at home to find that getting them past my thighs is a problem. Returned. Actually, exchanged for a 42 and that's the UK equivalent of a size 16... I can continue but you will get bored. Sizes in stores are terrible and maybe that explains why I mostly buy my trousers from H&M who have been the only store to be consistent with sizing regardless of style. In Dorothy Perkins I have to get a size 8 because they're cut larger and Zara manages to make me feel constantly fat with an M feeling very snug around my hips. The point to all this is that fashion should be a tool to make you feel good about yourself. Sometimes I like to buy something pretty just because I'm feeling down however the effect is reversed when I have to buy a larger size. This isn't particularly about one size being 'fat' as opposed to another but it's not healthy for one's psyche. I am a certain size and would like to wear that size. Sure, cut out the label and all that, it sticks in your mind. I had a theory that perhaps stores like Zara and Benetton don't want certain sizes shopping in their stores and that's why their range is so limited. We all know that designers are 'Sizeist' and they're free to be so I guess. The high street cannot afford to do this because of their customer demographic and trust me I will think twice before buying trousers from Benetton ever again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh god. This is something that all the stores really need to work on.
And imagine how bigger people feel, I mean even as a size 12, I feel like a huge giant when I go in Zara, seriously I once left the store wanting to stop eating forever. They really do mess with your mind. And you're right, it can't be good for someone!
Wonderful point to make!!!!
xxx